Living with arthritis: 10 ways to make daily tasks easier
Around 10 million people in the UK are thought to be living with arthritis, making it one of the most common rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
One of the reasons arthritis is so common is that it takes many different forms, affecting people of all ages– from young children to older adults. Some of the most common types include:
- Osteoarthritis – where joints are damaged due to cartilage becoming thin through wear and tear
- Rheumatoid arthritis – an autoimmune disease which causes the external covering of the joint to become damaged
- Psoriatic arthritis – a long-term health condition caused by psoriasis, which can worsen with time
- Gout – where a build-up of uric acid in the body causes severe attacks of pain and swelling, usually in one or two joints
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) – an arthritis which, in itself, has many different types and is experienced by children
Early diagnosis of arthritis is key
For World Arthritis Day this year, The European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) are focussing on the importance of gaining early diagnosis and access to care when you’re living with arthritis, through their campaign “Don’t Delay, Connect Today”.
Raising awareness of arthritis symptoms is one of the key ways to prompt those who are, as yet, undiagnosed to seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional and a list of symptoms can be found on our Arthritis Condition Page. Identifying symptoms early and receiving a diagnosis can help you treat your condition appropriately and lower the risk of arthritis reducing your quality of life by affecting your physical abilities.
Remember, arthritis is a degenerative disease
Although an early diagnosis and a combination of treatments can reduce the impact of the condition, symptoms of arthritis will gradually worsen over time.
If you reach a point where your condition causes everyday tasks to become uncomfortable or painful, there are a number of daily living aids which can help make your routine easier.
Take a look below for 10 products which can help you retain your independence, as well as some top tips on how to live better with arthritis.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Search the blog
- April 2nd 2019
- November 27th 2018
Best selling products
£57.59 £47.99 ex VAT£47.99
£6.85 £5.71 ex VAT£5.71
£41.94 £34.95 ex VAT£34.95